Fincher constructed a house and barn near the Schuylkill River, and called his small settlement "Fincher's Ford." The next known settler of Schuylkill Haven was Martin Dreibelbis, a German who arrived in the Spring of 1775.Martin Dreibelbis constructed a house, saw mill, distillery, and a grist mill on the eastern bank of the Schuylkill River.Another son, Daniel, received an area east of the original plot, and a third son, George, received an area outside of the present borough known as "Seven Stars" (located north of Schuylkill Haven on the Schuylkill River).The original plot of Schuylkill Haven shows that the borough stretched from the Schuylkill River on the west, to present-day Main Street on the north (then known as Front Street), to Saint Peter Street on the east (then known as Jacob Street), and Liberty Street on the south.Situated at the eastern edge of Bubeck Park is Stoyer's Dam.
The elevation at the river in the borough is approximately 490 feet (150 m) above sea level.
Schuylkill Haven is situated along the Schuylkill River for which it is named.
Schuylkill Haven is a focal point of activity in southern Schuylkill County.
The first settler in Schuylkill Haven was John Fincher, a Quaker from Chester County, Pennsylvania.
Fincher received a land grant of 225 acres (0.91 km) on March 5, 1750, the day which Schuylkill Haven considers to be its unofficial founding.
Farther from the river, the borough extends up numerous hills, reaching its highest elevation of about 700 feet (210 m) above sea level near the top of Avenue C.